Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pushing The Envelope...


So I went to see the film Bruno tonight. I had heard all the hype around this controversial film but never really intended to see it in theatres. After a long day of work and studying, however, I thought that a 2-hour chuckle fest would be good for the soul. This so called "chuckle fest" turned out to be the complete opposite---it turned into an aggravating, questionable, and thought provoking mind-fuck that I wished I had not experienced.

The film offends, degrades, and pokes fun at the homosexual lifestyle, which I am a proud member of. It has nasty, vulgar, crude humor fit for not even my high school students. So why was I laughing and smiling throughout the film? This was the mind-fuck...Should I have been laughing, or rather walked out in disgust and demanded my money back? Still debating over this...

But in order to get a good night's sleep, I have come to the conclusion that if we cannot laugh at ourselves and the silly things we do and subscribe to, then what's the point of living? Was I offended at the tacky "gay" outfits Bruno wore and the overly stereotypical sexual innuendos? Yeah. But have I also worn a see through shirt to club just like he did in the film? Yeah. So I choose to look back and laugh.

After a brief reflection and a glass of wine, I actually believe that this film was made to not offend, but to to remind the viewing public that the film was actually intended to expose homophobia.

That's the conclusion I have come to: laugh at yourself, don't take life too seriously, and not to be overly sensitive. Thanks for reminding me of this lesson Bruno-you are one sexy Faggot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We could all benefit from your ability to be so accepting.

Anonymous said...

This is not a question of acceptance. Cohen wasn't playing the homophobe---he was playing the stereotype. He is a straight man wearing gayface---that is very much the same as a white man wearing blackface. Those who think it's funny don't get they're being laughed AT, not WITH. He wasn't laughing WITH us, kids, he was laughing AT us in order to make a buck. Can a non-Jew play a Jewish stereotype? Ask Cohen and see what he says.