Thursday, August 6, 2009

POP! Goes the Weasel...


Today is the birthday of my all-time favorite artist, Andy Warhol. A central figure in the pop art movement, Andy actually got his start as an illustrator. He is most famous for his wonderful brightly colored silkscreen images of cultural icons such as Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, and of course, Cambell’s tomato soup cans. He also made several films, collaborated with many musical giants such as The Velevet Undergound, and served as a mentor for other visual artists such as Jean-Michel Basquiat, among many others. Although highly controversial, Andy is widely recognized as one of the most influencial artists of the 20th century.

One day I will own my own piece of authentic Warhol. My buddy Kim and I are soon taking a trip to Pittsburgh, to visit Andy's grave and also to explore the Warhol Museum (http://www.warhol.org/). But for now, I leave you with some of my favorite quotes from this highly original and unapologetic genius:







"People need to be made more aware of the need to work at learning how to live, because life is so quick and sometimes it goes away too quickly."
~Andy Warhol~

1 comment:

Kim said...

I can't wait for our much overdue trip to Pittsburgh - let's set a date!!! xoxo