Saturday, August 8, 2009

If You're Happy & You Know It...

Today, August 8th, is "Happiness Happens Day". It is a day intended to spread sunshine and smiles everywhere you go, to everyone you meet. As hokey as this may sound, it has some merit to it. I truly believe in manifest destiny: what you imagine and believe to happen, will. For example, if you wake up in the morning and think/meditate/pray for good things to come, they will. It is your choice to wake up on the "wrong side of the bed" and determine your destiny for the next 24 hours of your life.

Being the positive and optimistic person that I am, this naturally comes pretty darn easy for me. However, I have had days that I CHOSE to wake up on the wrong side of the bed...and nothing good ever came from it. And then there were the days where I had no cash left in my wallet, halfway to work my gas light came on, and knew I had to go to visit a dear friend in the hopsital immediately after work. On this particular day however, I CHOSE to smile and look on the bright side of things. The result was incredible: I won $250 on an old Lotto ticket I had not yet scratched off, gas prices dropped 12 cents that day, and I found out that my friend had no more detectable traces of cancer in his body!


So I ask you, for today (on annual HAPPINESS HAPPENS DAY), to wake up on the "right side of the bed", smile proudly at yourself when you first look into the mirror in the morning, and think about the simple things that you can do today to change someone's life for the better. It will come back ten-fold and happiness will surely happen to you in return.

"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves."
~James M. Barrie~

No comments: