Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The "Breaking of the Bread"

To “break bread” in Bible times often referred to the eating of common meals. In ancient times, to “break bread” was a figure of speech known as synecdoche where a part (to break bread) was put for the whole (to eat a common meal, regardless of the kind of food and drink consumed). In New Testament times, however, the phrase “to break bread” was also used to describe the partaking of the Lord’s Supper. Jesus instituted this special supper while celebrating the Feast of Unleavened Bread with His disciples shortly before His death.
(From Eric Lyons' article, “Breaking Bread” on the “First Day” of the Week from TheApologeticsPress.Org)
---
Fast forward to The Holy Book of theSTACEYJAY- Chapter 6, Verse 23:
To "break bread" refers to my night last night. I was invited by my roommate to a dinner party at a residence at the foot of the Phoenix Mountains. Having knowledge of the size of most of the houses in this area, I knew this would be a kick-ass dinner party!
As I walk into this palacial home, I immediately noticed the Asian inspried decor, the limestone floors, and the custom furniture and art that adourned the walls. As I walked around on a tour of the home, I kept thinking to myself "Why can't I live in a home this beautiful, big, and fabulous?" And then my friend said to the host, "Show them the garage!". I couldn't help but wonder what could possibly be in the garage...We pressed on.
I walked into the garage and had to immediately lift my jaw up off the ground. I am not a car guy but HOLY SHIT! I felt like I was on an epsiode of the MTV show Cribs. The custom flooring was as shiny as the North Star on a clear day, there was a bar in the corner, and the flat screen television was mounted so that you could sit in the vehicles and play Drive-In Theatre (Beverly Hills style).
To say the least, I was super-duper impressed with this place and never wanted to leave.
As the night went on and the cocktails were sipped, I began to see a different side of the home. My fascination with the glitz and glamour of the house got put on the backburner quite quickly when the conversations began. The individuals I was with were such genuine and caring people. We spoke of everyday life situations, world events, and our respective careers. We laughed together, drank together, cooked together, and eventually "broke bread" together.
As the night came to an end, I realized that "breaking bread" with people is not only an eating of meals, but a coming together of spirits, creating new friendships, and appreciating that what one own's in material posessions will always be surpassed the beauty of a conversation between souls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you know the word "synecdoche." And what a great evening, sounds like!

CandidaBell said...

I am so glad you started a blog. I love reading what you write. This was a great post.

theSTACEYJAY said...

Thanks for supporting the blog. I am having a great time with it. :)

Artistic Mamas said...

You do a great job of building the mood and excitement in the story. There were definitely places in your story where I was like, "What? What happened next? tell me!" You are a great writer