Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It's a Zoo Out There...

Like many other Philadelphia landmarks and institutions, the Philadelphia Zoo is an American first. The charter establishing the Zoological Society of Philadelphia was approved and signed on March 21, 1859. Due to the Civil War, however, it was another 15 years before America's first zoo was ready to open. The Zoo opened its gates on July 1, 1874 (135 years ago)! Admission was 25 cents for adults and 10 cents for children, a rate that held for the next half century. The Frank Furness Victorian gates and gatehouses, and the Zoo's location, are the same today as they were on the day it opened.
To honor this historic day in zooology, I want to list my top 5 favorite wild animals and why they mean so much to me:

#1 Mountain Gorillas
Ever since seeing the film Gorilla's In The Mist, I have been fascinated with these majestic and curious creatures. I want to grow up to be come Diane Fossey or Jane Goodall!
#2 Sea Turtles
While snorkling in Maui a few years ago, I spotted a baby sea turtle and swam with it for almost an hour. The most spiritual moment in my life!
#3 King Cobras
Such an intimidating, yet oddly enchanting being. I am fascinated with the mystery andiconography of this incredible seprent, the longest poisonous snake in the world.

#4 Moray Eels

The ugly stepsister of the ocean world. The beady eyes, the sharp fangs, lurking in the dark. Reminds me of myself at times, highly underestimated.

#5 Blue Dolphins

Considered to be amongst the most intelligent and playful of animals. After swimming with these guys with my best friend in Grand Cayman, I recall all of the wonderful memories that he and I have shared in our lives.

*Being a HUGE animal lover, this was a hard list to come up with. I thank my mother (the science teacher) for exposing me to this wonderful wild world at such a young age. My folks let me have so many different animals as a child, which gave me the appreciaton and respect for all the world's creatures*

(please visit http://www.goodzoos.com/arezoos.htm for more information)
__________________________________________________________________
UPDATE!!!
This posting was supposed to hit the web on WEDNESDAY, July 1st. I got a little trigger happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're way ahead of yourself! :)

Anonymous said...

What versatike and facile thought procsss.